A 22 km sponsored walk


Many years' ago, one of our lay leaders asked me what a bishop does all day. She was convinced we remain at home all week and only go out when we are called for confirmations. I wonder if she would imagine us joining a "sponsored walk".

The community of Our Lady of Assumption (Cathedral) planned a sponsored walk to start raising funds for a future project. Being the parish priest of the Cathedral I thought it would be good to join them.

The only detail was that it would be 22 km long with three or four different starting points. For some reason I chose to join them from the beginning... (!!!) together with Fr Mark James OP and Dabulamanzi Ntshangase (our "deacon elect"). The senior citizens were very wise when they asked to join in the last 200 meters!


Free transport was provided from the Cathedral, leaving at 5.30 am for those doing the full walk. I was punctually there and the first group was ready to go. I joined the second one a few minutes' later. 

The ambulance from St Theresa's (Catholic) Clinic was behind us all the way in case anyone would have a problem or even decide not to continue.


We were grateful the weather forecast got it wrong. At least the one I checked indicated rain a couple of times during the morning. It never happened and, thank God, the temperature dropped yesterday after a few very hot days.

It took us over four hours to reach the Cathedral where they were waiting for us with something to eat.

I was among those in one of the last groups to arrive so I chose to remind them last Sunday's gospel. Jesus said:‘If anyone wants to be first, he must make himself last of all and servant of all’ and then added: "don't say the bishop does not follow the Gospel!".

Later in the day I still had two more appointments. St Peter & Paul parish welcomed the Sodality of St Cecilia (from Daveyton) for their fundraising event. I had been asked to say a few words of welcome. Daveyton was the last parish I served as a priest and it was a great joy for me to be able to see them again.

The final appointment was the evening Mass. As I shared with them, "though my brain says 'walk', my legs do not want to obey".

It was only after the walk that I realised I had forgotten something very important. I should have collected a form at the Cathedral office and asked people to "sponsor my walk". In other words... I walked for free! It was solved on Sunday morning when I shared this with the people at the end of Mass and encouraged them to "correct" my mistake by giving a donation. The first message of support arrived immediately after Mass via WhatsApp!