Be patient, I am still learning...


The bishop is always the parish priest of the Cathedral. That is why he normally appoints an "administrator" (and not a parish priest) on whom he delegates the leadership of that community .

In my case, though, I had transferred the administrator to another parish because one of our priests have been sent for further studies and had to be replaced at the place where he was parish priest. Therefore, I am the part time parish priest of the Cathedral.

Friday saw me celebrating Mass at Lwandle primary school. Because of the number of children and the lack of a bigger place, the priest (or bishop!) celebrates two Masses (one group goes out and the other one comes in!). The children were amazing. Few of them are Catholic but they sang as if they had been members of our Church all their lives!


Saturday, together with another five priests, I presided the funeral of Dr David Mkhumbuzi Manyatsi who was a very active and committed member of the Cathedral community and the Salesian family. 

Sunday I had confirmations at Mater Dolorosa (Mbabane). When Fr Mahazule (parish priest) asked me for a date for confirmations I told him: "If you want me in your parish... you will have to replace me in mine!". So I took the two Masses at Mater Dolorosa and he took the three I was supposed to preside at the Cathedral. It was also good for him to be back at a place where he had been administrator under my predecessor.

The challenge came in the evening. The "Siege of Jericho" had announced in the Cathedral the beginning of their week of prayer at our "Little Flower" Church. I had no more details than that and thought no one would need me.

Wrong. They normally start their week with the celebration of Mass. Evening phone call. The people had arrived and they were waiting for me to start. It was even funny because I had not been able to organize properly the keys I was given and could not find quickly what was needed. The good thing is that we were all helping each other to get everything ready. 

As I finally started the Mass I said: "Please, be patient, I am still learning to find my way...".