Celebrating with the Oakford Dominicans


It was still 2013 when I received an email from the Oakford Dominicans invited me to join the at the celebration of their 125th anniversary of call and service.

I was still in the Vicariate of Ingwavuma and immediately answered I would be there.

Twenty years' ago in 1994, when I arrived in South Africa, our Superior organised a week of talks to help the "newly arrived missionaries" to get an idea of the country that was welcoming them. It was a very good idea that we repeated only once ten years' later.

One of the talks was given by Sr Alison Munro OP. That was my first contact with the them. I always remembered her because I asked her two things: which newspaper she would recommend (the first democratic elections in South Africa  had not taken place yet) and which book on the history of South Africa she would recommend. I followed both her advices.

When in 2009 I became bishop of Ingwavuma, I was asked to join the HIV/Aids Office of the Bishops' Conference and... Sr Alison Munro OP was (and still is) the one leading the daily programs.


The celebration on Sunday was also an opportunity to thank God together with those Sisters celebrating their 50th, 60th and 65th jubilees. Each one of them brought a specially decorated candle which was put at the feet of the altar.

The Oakford Dominicans have been serving in the Vicariate of Ingwavuma for many years. Their convent is in Hlabisa. One of them works at "Malusi Omuhle Primary School"and another one runs the Vicariate Orphans' Project. When they were three, one would also be involved in the training of lay leaders.