'Conversion of St Paul' Catholic Church


Arriving in the Diocese of Manzini in 2014, I started visiting the parishes and outstations in the same way I had done in the Vicariate of Ingwavuma since 2009: "unannounced". With the help of the local priests I was able to visit 90 of 120 communities we have in the Kingdom of Eswatini. They always found someone to lead me to the place but never told the people the bishop would be there on Sunday.

In May 2016 I visited the Catholic community at Mlindazwe (Good Shepherd Parish, Siteki). I might have been one of the first to arrive to the place because I had a vivid memory of the face of the people when they saw the Bishop's car was there. On that particular Sunday there were a bit confused about the time Mass would be celebrated and therefore they started phoning each other to let them know they would be having Mass with the Bishop.

The place was small but behind it - as I saw after Mass - they had started building their church. They had been able to reach "windows level" but there was one problem: they had run out of money.

Two years' later, on 02 June 2018, I went back to Mlindazwe to bless their new church.


The procession to the Church started 1.5 km away led by the "Salesian Brass Band" from Manzini. They are a powerful presence that made the people of the area come out of the their homes to greet us.

These are "community events" and not just a Catholic celebration. Everyone would be welcomed for lunch and therefore I found a good team of women making sure everything would be ready by the end of the Mass and speeches. 


The name of a new church is chosen by the bishop. The Parish Pastoral Council presents three possible ones. In this case, I was only given one indication: to include the name of Paul the apostle remembering Mr Paul Bhila who had donated the land. Their challenge was that already one of the outstations of the parish carried the name: St Paul

During the homily I announced that the Church will be called: "the conversion of St Paul" and their patronal feast will be celebrated on January 29.

It is the first church to carry that name in our diocese and reminds us that the Risen Jesus looked for Paul and made him an apostle. It is a reminder that it is not enough for us to follow Jesus. We need to look for those who are "outside" and joyfully share with them the Good News we have received.