Though cold and rainy...!


It's been a while since I continued visiting the communities of the Diocese of Manzini (Swaziland) on Sundays. Trips abroad and special celebrations on Sundays made it difficult for me to do it. 

The time finally came last Sunday. 

I contacted Fr Khuluse and asked him if there was any community under Regina Mundi Parish (Piggs Peak) which I had not visited and where I could go for the Mass. He indicated St Joachim at 10 am.

I knew the place. Three years' ago, at the beginning of my time in Swaziland as administrator of the Diocese I visited all the parishes to get a picture of the diocese. Going to Regina Mundi, Fr Makhana (priest in charge at that time) waited for me by the Komati river as he wanted me not just to see the parish but also some of their communities. St Joachim was one of them, just that I had never been there on a Sunday.

Last Sunday was not really the "best day". Temperatures had dropped down all over the country. Leaving Manzini and driving to St Joachim I could see the temperature going down up to 8 degrees. Most of the way was also misty and rainy. With such a sudden change of weather, would anyone be there for Mass?

The answer came already while still driving. My phone rang "Bishop, we are already waiting for you on the road to show you the place where the Church is. You will see us nearby".

A member of the Sacred Heart Sodality was waiting for me not far from the Church. 

Reaching the place I found many people already there. By the time Mass started the Church was full: children, young people and adults. A good number of men and women. It was a well prepared, prayerful and lively celebration. All of us grateful to be together to celebrate our faith.