Memories...


It must have happened nearly 30 years' ago. I was a young priest in Argentina and in my service of making the Church aware we are called to be missionaries, I used to travel to different parishes in different provinces of the country.

I was at San Francisco (Cordoba province) and the parish priest had organised a reconciliation service with confessions. I was asked to help. People always like someone who does not know them!!!

When the time for confessions came, the priest jokingly said: "I would be sitting next to the image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus so that I remember His love and try to be more merciful with you"

The priest was Fr Nelso Borgogno IMC one of the first Consolata Missionaries I met when I was a teenager and who the very first time we met said: "you will be one of us"

I remember the story because during this Jubilee of Mercy I committed myself to be available in the Cathedral every Friday from 4 pm to 5 pm for the celebration of the sacrament of reconciliation (or "confession" as we usually call it). 

My place in the Cathedral is next to the image of the "merciful Jesus" which has become so popular in the last few years. Each time I arrive and leave the place I pray in front of this image and, of course, remember Fr Nelso and his words.

At the end of this Lenten Season I am deeply grateful for this time. It has been a great blessing for me to celebrate this sacrament every Friday and be an expression of God's merciful love for each one of us.