Waterford... a first for the bishop!

"A warm welcome to you Bishop! This is the first visit of a bishop to our community". I was welcomed with these words by Fr Jonathan Daniels SDB on Sunday. 

Arriving in the diocese I asked to continue what I had been doing in the Vicariate of Ingwavuma and allow me to celebrate confirmations in the outstations and not just in the parishes. I always feel that doing it only in the parish does not allow most of the community to attend. 

Their local community is the place where they will be asked to serve as a fruit of the sacrament of confirmation and I believe it is the natural place to celebrate it. 

It is also true that we "only" have one hundred communities in the diocese and it should somehow be possible to do it. 

Waterford Kamhlaba is not a parish or a chapel but a college outside Mbabane. A hall is used for the celebration of the Mass. 

There was a big Catholic community on Sunday who had carefully prepared every element of the place and the celebration. The spirit was joyful making me feel at home as soon as I arrived.

At the end of the Mass I took some time to share with them on the experience I had the day before at the Media Expo and made them laugh when they heard about the "selfies" of the bishops. Laughs were followed by "selfies requests" after Mass.

Thank you all!