|Praying together at the beginning of the project at Hope House|
"More strength to Hope" is the name of a project that has started at "Hope House", the hospice of the Diocese of Manzini. The details of the project were prepared by Sr Elsa Joseph MSMHC but the name was chosen by Chiara Giovetti, a lay woman working in Rome at the project office of the Consolata Missionaries. It immediately clicked.
Chiara visited the Diocese of Manzini last week and we thought it would be a good idea to have a little prayer gathering and sod cutting done by her. Mr William Kelly, Director of Caritas Swaziland, welcomed us and Mr Harry Nxumalo close the gathering thanking everyone, particularly the Italian Bishops' Conference. He explained that for a long time they had been dreaming to do this, so this is "a dream come true" thanks to this generous donation.
The project is financed by the Italian Bishops' Conference (CEI) and it will allow:
- to renovate 10 of the 25 units,
- to build a new storeroom and
- a retaining wall (to stop the water from damaging some of the units)
- to update the Hope House's staff
- to train the patients, their family members and the informal caregivers in palliative care, methods to deal with the pain and loss, precautions to avoid infection and other related matters,
- to recruit a physiotherapist
Things are already moving fruit of the usual efficiency of Sr Elsa Josephs and her team. All should be done in the next 12 months.
We are deeply grateful to the benefactors who support the Catholic Church in Italy and to Chiara for helping us make it possible ... and for coming to stay with us!