Easter: the joy of the Risen Lord among us (Masses and baptisms)

Click HERE to see more photos

There were four Masses at the Cathedral for Easter. The first one was, of course, the vigil. We started at about 9 pm for the blessing of the fire outside. I could not really see how many people were there. It was only when we reached the altar and we waited for everyone to come in that I realise the place would be packed. We waited for a long time until everyone came in. The Cathedral that had been completely dark, became full of light thanks to our own candles. A beautiful image of our faith.



The Mass was celebrated in English and SiSwati and, of course, Zulu which I add here an there.

After each one of the readings (one in English and one in SiSwati) a member of the community shared a few words. After the gospel, proclaimed by Fr Magagula, it was my turn. We read the Gospel of Matthew and remember Jesus' words to the women: "‘Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers that they must leave for Galilee; they will see me there.’" I asked them to be my Galilee, the place where I can find the Risen Jesus. "In February someone would ask you... would you be my Valentine?". On Easter day instead we are asked: "would you be my Galilee...?".

We then celebrated 28 baptisms and 52 confirmations of adults. 

Mass finished at about 2.30 am. People had a break and there was another Mass at 5 am which was presided by Fr Magagula. I was back at 9.00 for the Easter Mass in English with the baptism of 7 children, followed by another Easter Mass in SiSwati at 10.30 with the baptism of another 15 children.

While I had a few hours' sleep, other probably had nothing: members of the choir, altar servers, those cleaning the church... I saw them all the time in Church. 

The Easter Season has just started!