A warm welcome at St John Bosco (Malkerns, Swaziland)



Fr Jonathan SDB, parish priest of St John Bosco at Malkerns (Swaziland) invited me for a pastoral visit to the parish where some would be confirmed and one would celebrate her first communion. 

On Sunday I jokingly said I felt I was in a Cathedral as there were six priests and three deacons. They had stayed in the area after the ordination of the deacons the previous day.

It was cold and it had been raining but the church was packed as the people from the four outstations joined the parish at the celebration.

At the end of the celebration I renewed once again my request to pray for the appointment of a new bishop to the diocese. "You know, bishops marry a diocese, so each time I leave the Vicariate of Ingwavuma, 'my wife' asks me 'where are you going'? Are you going again to Manzini? This diocese needs a permanent bishop and the Vicariate needs their bishop to be there full time...".

After Mass we all went to the Hall for entertainment: songs, dances and a special welcome to the bishop done by the chairperson of the parish. "This is how we welcome our visitors, bishop" she said and dress me with a traditional attire.

While greeting the people I had a chance to greet and congratulate the parents of one of the new deacons, Ncamiso Vilakati, who belongs to that parish. His brother Dumisani Vilakati is also a priest in the Diocese of Manzini and is presently finishing his studies at the Pontifical Biblical Institute in Rome.