Confirmations at Regina Mundi (Swaziland)


On Sunday we celebrated confirmations at Regina Mundi (Pigg's Peak). The first time I passed through Pigg's Peak was in 2010, exactly one year after my episcopal ordination. With Fr Declan we were on our way to Tzaneen in South Africa and we took a shortcut through Swaziland because of some roadworks.
After I was appointed Apostolic Administrator I visited Pigg's Peak during the week and Fr Makama (priest-in-charge) showed me some of the outstations of the Parish.
This time, instead, the different outstations gathered to celebrate the sacrament of confirmation. They had not celebrated this sacrament for a number of years as both Servite priests died in a short time and that was followed by the death of the Bishop. Fr Makama wanted to make sure it would be done today and fixed the date more than six months' ago.
It was a “multilingual celebration”. They would normally celebrate in SiSwati but I do not know it so I used Zulu and they answered in SiSwati. I had forgotten the Zulu ritual for confirmations so... we had to use the English one. Three languages in one Mass!

At the end of the celebration, as I always do, I asked the community to continue praying for a new Bishop so that a permanent Shepherd will walk with them daily.

(Click HERE for photos of the celebration)